Despite exceptional abilities and unmatched efficiency, Jeep Wranglers are still prone to faults in the transmission system that can also affect the radio. The issues can range from minor to major depending on the severity of the problem. Luckily, the vehicle comes with a built-in radio factory reset system that can be used to restore it to the default setting.
The hard reset addresses the most common jeep wrangler radio problems. Below we have developed a detailed guide on the jeep wrangler reset along with different types of methods that can be adopted according to the nature of the problem. So, without any further delay let’s get started.
Jeep Wrangler Radio Reset
Problems with Jeep Wrangler Radio System
There are various problems associated with a Jeep Wrangler radio that might be because of issues with the transmission systems, internal components of the jeep, and some external frequency disturbances. Various frequently occurring problems with the Jeep Wrangler radio include sound skipping and issues with switching on the radio.
The above-discussed issues are mainly caused by software problems, unstable connections, and blown fuses. You can replace these components or resolve minor problems in the software by making modifications to improve the performance of the radio system. Similarly, if the problem persists and can not be resolved by the above-mentioned methods, then performing a hard set will definitely turn the Jeep Wrangler radio to a new one by restoring it to default settings in case of software disturbances.
How Do I Reset My Jeep Wrangler Radio?
There are different methods that can be adopted for resetting the radio on a Jeep Wrangler. Below, we have discussed all of these in detail to help you resolve the issues you might be facing with the radio transmission system of your vehicle.
Method 1 (Turn Off The Radio)
- The first step is to turn on the ignition of the vehicle.
- Afterwards, press the radio button to turn it on.
- Once you have turned on the radio, wait for 10 seconds and then turn off the radio.
- Be careful to wait for 10 seconds, turning off the radio immediately after turning it on will disturb the whole process.
- After you have turned the radio off, press and hold the power button until it starts displaying the resetting page.
- Now your radio has been reset to the default setting. Check whether the problem has been resolved or not.
Method 2 (Removing The Battery Terminals)
If the problem persists even after performing the above-mentioned steps, then you should proceed towards the second method, which is effective at resolving stubborn problems that might result in serious issues. Following steps should be followed in this regard.
- Firstly, by locating the negative terminal on your car battery.
- Once you have found the terminal, the second step is to disconnect it from the rest of the system for more than five minutes.
- Afterward, check the time carefully and reconnect the terminal to the battery.
- This will force the radio to perform a reset. However, you might be asked for a code.
- Now, this is where most Jeep Wrangler owners get confused. This is no secret code, instead, it can be easily found on the manual that comes with your vehicle. Each Jeep Wrangler comes with a vehicle-specific code that can be used on such instances and is mostly mentioned in the user’s manual.
- Once you have identified the code, enter it into the system and it will activate the radio. Thus, allow you to access it completely with all the default settings.
Method 3 (Voice & Phone Button)
This method is relatively simpler than the previous two and is the most effective method of restoring the Jeep Wrangler Radio to the default settings. If you have been unsuccessful with the previous two attempts, we assure you will be able to achieve your task with this method. For this purpose, you need to follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Firstly, locate the voice and phone button on your vehicle.
- Afterward, press both buttons simultaneously for around 10 to 20 seconds.
- Be careful about the time as releasing the buttons earlier can impact your ability to reset the radio. After 20 seconds, the radio will start rebooting and will automatically reset itself.
- This will restore it back to its default settings and will remove all the software-related issues that might be present in your Jeep Wrangler radio.
However, we would like to mention that even after following these steps, you might be unable to resolve the issue. However, such cases are extremely rare and do not occur frequently. If you come across such a problem, you might have to remove the radio from the dashboard and then insert a chip inside the radio to restore its settings and resolve any internal problems that might be hindering its ability to function properly.
This is a serious issue and therefore, you must possess some basic technical skills to complete the task properly. Similarly, you can also seek help from experts if you are short on time or are not confident about repairing the radio by yourself.
How to Reset UConnect Jeep Wrangler System?
The UConnect system included in most Jeep Wranglers is different from the standard radio system and might require some additional steps to restore back to the default settings. This section will deal with the methods to reset the UConnect Jeep Wrangler System depending upon the firmware and UConnect system you are using. Therefore, you must possess in-depth knowledge about the UConnect System and your vehicle, in general, to successfully perform the reset.
Alternatively, you can also use method 2 discussed in the previous section to restore and reset most of these standard systems present in your vehicle. To be honest, we always recommend trying out method 2 to our clients, and if it does not work for them, then we suggest proceeding with the below-mentioned methods to achieve the best possible outcome.
Before proceeding with all the methods discussed here, we highly suggest identifying the problems your radio system is facing in detail and understanding the nature of your jeep to achieve optimum performance and the desired outcome. The following steps can be followed for method 1.
- First and foremost, keep pressing the upper right corner of the UConnect screen integrated into your jeep until you see the vehicle logo.
- Once the logo appears, you might observe the screen turning black or dark for a few seconds. This might occur a few times, so you do not need to worry if such a thing happens.
- Afterward, wait for the screen to display the vehicle logo again.
- Once the logo appears, it means that you have successfully reset the UConnect system. But, if the screen does not turn on, or does not display the vehicle logo, then there might be some serious problem that should be addressed by the technical experts.
Method 2 (Phone & Voice Recognition Buttons)
If for some reason you do not want to try out Method 1 or have been unsuccessful in resetting the UConnect system, then you can try out the second method laid down in detail for your guidance. This method works wonders for UConnect 730N if you are planning to perform a soft reset. We assure you that you will be able to resolve any problems with the radio system of this particular vehicle. For this purpose, you should follow these steps;
- Firstly, locate the phone and voice recognition buttons. In the specified model these buttons are located on the steering wheel.
- Press these buttons simultaneously for 30 seconds.
- After the mentioned time has passed, release the buttons at the same time and then, turn off the ignition.
- After you have turned off the ignition, open the door located on the driver’s side.
- Leave the door open for around 30 seconds before closing it.
- Once the specified time has passed, close the door and turn on the ignition. This will force the system to reset itself and will resolve all the issues completely.
Method 3 (Tuner & Volume Button)
If you have a UConnect 8.4 system installed in your Jeep Wrangler, then the above-mentioned options might not work for you. Fortunately, we have found a method for resetting the UConnect 8.4 system as well. By following the steps included below, you will be able to successfully resolve all the internal problems in your vehicle and restore it to the desired settings.
- Firstly, park the keep while keeping it in the run mode.
- Afterward, locate the tuner button and press it simultaneously with the volume button for 10 to 20 seconds.
- Do not release both buttons until the specified time is over.
- After 20 seconds, the Jeep trim logo will appear on your screen for a short time before it turns dark.
- Do not touch any button, wait for the screen to turn on automatically, displaying the trim logo again,
- If the logo appears again, this means that you have successfully performed the reset.
- Similarly, if it does not appear, it means that there are some internal issues with the UConnect system and the process was unsuccessful.
Finally, the last resort is to perform a factory reset. We do not recommend going for a factory reset unless you are not left with any other option. It is one of the most useful methods and can immediately resolve all software-related problems.
But, it also deletes all the previous data stored in the system alongside history and other important details and restores the system back to its original settings with no saved records. The majority of the users are hesitant about performing a reset because of this reason and try to resolve the problem with the above-mentioned steps to minimize the chance of data loss.
- Here are a few steps that can be followed to perform a factory reset.
- Press and hold the hot and cold buttons simultaneously until the menu appears on the screen.
- Among the options listed on the screen, scroll down and select the option of radio reset.
- Click on the reset factory default option and press ok.
- The system will reset to the default setting by deleting all the data.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my jeep wrangler radio not turning on?
There can be a variety of reasons for the improper performance of the radio system of a jeep wrangler, In most cases, such problems occur due to the issues with the software, which can be resolved by performing a reset. However, it is not the sole problem. Other issues due to which a jeep wrangler radio might not be turning on include blown fuses, improper connection, and frequency issues.
Why did my UConnect stop working?
Uconnect System is one of the advanced and high-quality radio systems inside a jeep wrangler and might face some minor transmission and performance issues. This might be because of the poor compatibility, issues with the updates, and problems in the downloaded apps. Similarly, the expiration of your membership with the entertainment service provider can also affect your working abilities.
How much do Jeep Uconnect services cost per month?
If you have purchased a membership for the Jeep Wrangler UConnect services, then you will have to pay $14.99 per month in order to avail all the benefits. However, this pricing is only available to the subscription members and is not for commercial or volume licensing customers.
Jeep Wrangler is one of the best vehicles available around the market. However, it often faces issues with the radio and UConnect system, which mostly occur because of blown fuses, and software problems. Luckily, we have come up with various methods that can help you perform a reset. Moreover, if the problem persists even after the reset you can always go for a factory reset, which will definitely solve the problem but will delete all the data that might be saved in your radio or UConnect system.
Hi! This is Marcus Adams, an adventurer who has a passion for jeeps. I have been exploring terrains for about 10 years and has trailed on a variety of jeeps. My passion for off-roading has allowed me to learn everything jeeps have to offer. Now, I have turned his passion into a professional project in form of this SMOOTHDRIVES website, where I plan to share my expertise about all kinds of off-roading accessories for jeeps, trucks and SUV’s and provide readers with high-quality content.